As you all know, I have been out-of-action, off-the-grid on the normal life routines for close to a month now and there is another week and half to go before I get back to work. After the initial two weeks post my surgery, things have taken up a routine though a different one. Life is slower, definitely. I get to see it, taste it and savour it. The best is I get a lot of time to do things I love. I get more time to write, with my children and the husband. I also noticed some changes in life which happened accidentally as a consequence. I just hope I can continue with atleast some of them in future.
- Not being online the whole day – I realized that there was no need to be updated about the ‘news’ all the time. I need not know what celebrities are wearing or whom are they dating or whom they split up with. In fact, I started skipping the whole thing in the newspaper too. Who cares? It is also curing my need to be on the know all the time.
- Leaving the smartphone and forgetting all about it – I realized I need not be carrying my smartphone all the time in the kitchen, on the balcony, when lying on the bed. I have started to forget where I left it. I would pick it up only when it rings or I want to check on the mail. I have my hands free.
- Disconnecting from Wi-fi – Another thing I did, disconnected the wi-fi. Let me tell you how peaceful it was. Suddenly, I was surrounded by my sons who did not know what to do in the absence of a wi-fi network. We actually spoke and told each other about our day.
- Watching movies on DVD – I dusted off the DVD player which is the most neglected electronic appliance at home. We put on some old and new Malayalam movies and had a blast. The sons picked up some Malayalam words as a result. Watching a movie with no ad-breaks, is really good.
- Reading my choices – I get many books for reviewing which I do over the weekend. Thus, most of the times, I do not get a choice on what I want to read. But, this month, I chose to read review books and my personal choices alternately. It gives a more wholesome experience bringing back the joy in reading.
Let me know what are some of the habits of normal routine life which you wish to change?