It has never been my endeavor to have a word define what I want to do. I found them too childish and funny and swept them away as another New Year resolutions fad. But as I walked into another fresh year, I realised there are too many things I want to do, but I am unable to do because of other commitments. I also realised, there is no ‘good’ time to start anything new. ‘Someday’ is not in the future. The best time is definitely now. I have been making some sub-conscious decisions in the past few months. I realise now that it all does lead up to a single concept or word. At work, we had filled up a questionnaire which helped to identify our basic traits. My first trait was ‘Learner’. The description they provided fit me to the ‘T’. It says, that I am always trying to learn new things. I am unafraid to venture into new things. But, on the downside, I also learn a lot of irrelevant things. Stuff which I will never need anytime in my lifetime. But I still pursue it. It is a fact, I know it.
I decided to take some control of this basic trait of mine. I decided, that if I am going to learn, I will do good to learn something valuable. So, my word for this year is ‘Discover’. I want to do many things which I had planned but never seen the light of day. The last time I had done something was planned my PMP Certification, which was 5 years ago. Here is my list for Discover.
- Discover Joys of Minimalism – I have a new home to decorate and shift to sometime this year. My initial thoughts were to have some grand decorations and lightings in place. But, the concept of minimalism got me rethinking. Do I really need it? Will my friends and family judge me for having a less than grand home? I realised, I just need a warm and cozy place as my home. I don’t want to spend my waking hours worrying about maintaining my home. As a result, some plans have been toned down. Anything which do not have a practical use in the house will be out of the house. We save some money and can use it for something else we want to do.
- Discover a new place – I plan to take a complete holiday with the family this year. No targets here. My only plan is to be disconnected from work. I want to discover if I can handle it. It was fun to discover some new places with my sons in 2015 and 2016. I need to do that more before the children become adults soon and prefer the company of their friends over parents.
- Discover my writing voice – I plan to focus on my writing skills. I am not sure if I want to write humor, romance, drama or children’s books. A lot of self-discovery will be needed here. However, the plan is to take up writing a Story a week as a first step.
- Discover a healthier routine – All that sitting in front of the laptop is not helping me on the health front. I need to have a healthier routine with a lot of moving around. A wi-fi enabled headphone may help. Walking instead of taking the Scooty for short distances. And being consistent in my walking routine is needed.
- Discover new writing – As a plan, I intend to follow Indian authors whose works are translated into English. I have a hashtag for that one #ReadTranslations. I also plan to read about places I never read about previously. Last year, I read about Fiji, Africa, Mexico and Cuba. Different places does have different cultures and I would love to discover them. I have taken up the #BrunchBookChallenge to read 36 books this year. It also needs reading 6 books of Indian authors. I also set my #GoodReadsChallenge target to 36. 3 books a month is doable I feel without stressing myself. I did discover I could read 45 books last year.
- Discover genres I love to read – Last year I discovered that I enjoy reading non-fiction. I also discovered that YA, Paranormal, Fantasy are a big ‘NO’ for me. I can also not stand a badly written book. I am okay to put it in a ‘Did Not Finish’ list than spending time reading crap. Maybe I am getting old and losing patience. But, my focus seems to wander aimlessly. So, no more of those genres. My favourite go to place for discovering new is Netgalley.com.
Hope I also discover something I never knew existed or I wished for. Do you have a word of the year?
Wish you all a Happy New Year!